Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Two-shot, Co-Injection, or In-Mold Decorating? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cthompson68

Mechanical
Oct 12, 2005
US
I would like to know the pros and cons when comparing two-shot (two-color), co-injection, and in-mold decorating to each other. What is the general cost and availability if manufactured in the United States?

I have designed overmolded parts (plastic with elastomeric overmold) in the past. This required the plastic part to be designed with a mechanical interlocking features so the elastomeric material would bond to the plastic. I am guessing overmolding would be more costly that the previously mentioned injection-molding techniques.

If two identical, but different color, materials are used (ex: PP, PC/ABS, etc.) for a plastic housing, which process would you recommend and why? The two different colors where suggested by an industrial designer to improve the aesthetics of a part, and the part will probably need to be dishwasher safe (i.e. utensils).

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello cthompson,

all these technics are geometry dependency production methods.

Whats your product and geometry? overmold grade elastomeric materials are available for a strong bonding to abs , pc/abs etc..

If you dont have a double shot machine you can use two machines and two different molds.

in-mold decoration and elastomer materials are our expertise , if you think about mold&part production abroad. never hesitate to get in touch with me.

Hi,

IMD would be a good choice but it depends on your part design. If you have lots of curves and radius, IMD would be difficult. Also an IMD tool would be a bit costly as you'd probably get the tool from the IMD foil supplier who has experience in making these IMD tool.

If you're thinking on IMD side, why not use spray painting,pad print or any other ink transfer process. Less hassle and probably cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back