Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Two versions teamcenter

Status
Not open for further replies.

swale2

Mechanical
Dec 29, 2009
CA
Is it possible to have two installs of teamcenter running. I know you can have different versions of NX running on the same PC. Is this this possible with Teamcenter and does the license work for both or would you need license for each version. The situation we have is only certain divisions has teamcenter access at the moment and all are controlled globally. multiple divisions are working on a project and would like to experiment with a local install of teamcenter which has less requirements and controlled by the local department. All we are looking for are out of the box write protection and sharing. The global requirements are much more involved and timing of this project can not be implemented and employees trained in time. Is this possible technically?

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You should be able to install Teamcenter on a local computer and run your local customizations for testing.
(I am basing this information on PTC's Windchill, which I have on 2 servers, but access both on my desktop from a single browser.)

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

I am assuming you are talking about two different versions looking at the same database? Or do you need two completely separated environments?

The first is only possible if you use 2 different Connections. You cannot run two 4-tier connections on the same client. So you would need to run a 2-tier and a 4-tier connection at the same time.
The second option should not be a problem. When you are looking at two different DB's then you can run multiple 4-tier connections. They have to be configured separately.

To clarify;
A 4-tier connection makes a connection to the main server where you are running your Teamcenter session On the server itself
A 2-tier connection runs the session on your own client (This will be out phased by Siemens)

There is another option. Depending on which version of Teamcenter you will be using. Up to Teamcenter 10, there is a Thin Client available. This will let you use Teamcenter in a webbrowser.
This you can run simultaneously with a rich client UI.

Ronald van den Broek
Senior Application Engineer
Winterthur Gas & Diesel Ltd
NX9 / TC10.1.2

Building new PLM environment from Scratch using NX12 / TC11

Thanks NutAce, The second option is what we are thinking about, an independent database that is local (our country only) until the other departments are officially rolled out on the global install. Would there be any additional hardware required or can both run on the same server? Does the license file work like the NX license were the same license file can be used for both databases? This database we are hoping to have would be out of the box setup with minimum controls just wanting to manage all the data read write and share control. Minimum learning curve for the new users.

I would not use the same server for the DB. And if you are using a 4-tier connection I would also go for a separate application server (this will host all client connections).
You can point to the same license server for the new Teamcenter.

What you do need to take into account is your datamodel on the new server. If you want to migrate the data to the Existing Teamcenter afterwards (when your new users are used to it) then it would be the easiest to do if the datamodel is identical. Just use the same BMIDE template which is used on your current Teamcenter server. It can be easily "installed"
A normal Server consolidation for the migration is the best and easiest solution then.

Ronald van den Broek
Senior Application Engineer
Winterthur Gas & Diesel Ltd
NX9 / TC10.1.2

Building new PLM environment from Scratch using NX12 / TC11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back