Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

two way slab design question

Status
Not open for further replies.

GUNHE

Structural
Mar 30, 2007
US
I am a bridge engineer. I somehow have to design CIP two-way slabs for a part of parking structure in San Jose. I have CA PE, but I never designed anything about building with seismic load, because I am working in Arizona and did only bridges for a living.

Anyway, I think I need to use equivalent frame analysis method in order to incorporate the lateral load with DL+LL in the two-way slab design. I read and read concrete design books, and finally understood what to do. However, I realized that analyzing the moment distribution method to come up with design moments for each patterned load cases with lateral loads are killing me, and therefore I am looking for how to simplify the analysis using beam analysis software using the calculated equivalent stiffness.

I have no idea how to cheat/use the equivalent stiffness calculated for the moment distribution method, with any typical 3-d modeling (STAAD)?

Anyone knows how to model the equivalent frame into STAAD or any 3-d FEA software, so that I do not need to do the moment distribution method each cases?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back