Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Type 2 Construction (IBC) - Interior Plywood Shear Wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

North2South

Structural
Jun 16, 2019
US
I've got a question about the use of a non-load bearing (vertical load) shear wall using plywood in type 2 B construction. The following are excerpts from the IBC:

Combustible materials shall be permitted in buildings of Type I or II construction in the following applications and in accordance with Sections 603.1.1 through 603.1.3:
Fire-retardant-treated wood shall be permitted in:
1. 1.1.Nonbearing partitions where the required fire-resistance rating is 2 hours or less.
2. 1.2.Nonbearing exterior walls where fire-resistance rated construction is not required.
3. 1.3.Roof construction, including girders, trusses, framing and decking.

WALL, NONLOAD-BEARING. Any wall that is not a load-bearing wall.
❖ This definition is necessary since the structural requirements and fire-resistance-rating requirements in the code vary for nonload-bearing walls and load-bearing walls. Nonload-bearing walls do not support any portion of the building or structure except the weight of the wall itself.

WALL, LOAD-BEARING. Any wall meeting either of the following classifications:
1.Any metal or wood stud wall that supports more than 100 pounds per linear foot (1459 N/m) of vertical load in addition to its own weight.
2.Any masonry or concrete wall that supports more than 200 pounds per linear foot (2919 N/m) of vertical load in addition to its own weight.
❖ This definition is necessary since the structural requirements and fire-resistance-rating requirements in the code vary for nonload-bearing walls and load-bearing walls. The term “load-bearing walls” is intended to refer to wall elements that support part of the structural framework of a building.

Can anyone verify if their interpretation of the above is the same as mine? The shear wall would have a deflection track at the top and therefore be non-load bearing. Since it is non-load bearing, I can use fire-retardant treated plywood to sheathe the wall to use it as a shear wall. The code explicitly states a load-bearing metal wall is a wall that supports 100 PLF vertical load. The wall would not have vertical load therefore it is non load-bearing.

Any thoughts or similar experiences? Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Fletch10 said:
...The shear wall would have a deflection track at the top and therefore be non-load bearing. Since it is non-load bearing, I can use fire-retardant treated plywood to...

How do you plan to attach the sheathing to the top track and studs while still maintaining the vertical slip? Without that attachment I'm not sure you are passing any shear into the wall.

My Personal Open Source Structural Applications:

Open Source Structural GitHub Group:

I would use a Simpson SCW connector turned 90 degrees on each side of the wall top plate. They'd have to not the sheathing around the connectors. The load capacity that would typically be for out-of-plane wind would then be my allowable shear capacity for in-plane.

Can you post a sketch of how you're thinking of doing this? I'm having trouble picturing this in a way that is both functional and buildable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back