Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Type CMP/CL2R Data Cable -Cable Tray Rated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePunisher

Electrical
Nov 7, 2009
CA
HI all,

I got an 6C-18 AWG Data Cable type CMP, CL2R. We intend to route it inside ladder type cable tray with cover outdoors. The application is here in Canada at -40 deg C temperature. I checked some manufacturer technical spec like Annixter and it says that type CMP cables can be routed in cable trays. In CEC 2018 Table 19, CMP is listed which can be routed in "raceways", which I also consider cable trays as a form of raceway. There is no exception (like except cable trays) in Table 19. Using Google, I checked some hits related to CMP on cable trays and found the some literature that they can be routed on cable trays.

Does anyone have any reference or manufacturer specification that would indicate suitability for cable tray?

Now comes the other part, can it withstand outdoor freezing weather? I would think so as long as it is not disturbed and securely fastened. WE have routed this cable in cable tray and ran them in conduits on tray take-off. Our technical advisers wants us to run them in conduits in the entire length. My take is that, whether that its on covered cable tray or conduit, both cases would still subject the cable into freezing temperatures.

I would appreciate any comments and experiences here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back