Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Type of elements in ANSYS Solidworks 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaabain

Bioengineer
Apr 26, 2007
FR
Dear all,

I would like to know what type of element has been used after meshing the assembly using ANSYS Workbench. In the details of mesh, I couldn't find the type of element. In other words, how could I mesh my assembly by 8-node-hexahedron elements?

Thank you in advance
Chaabain

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Chaabain, long time no speaketh. If your company got a seat and keeps maintainence, you can log onto the ANSYS site, login, and go download the element type reference. This reference goes through all the types in detail, and you'd be surprised how many element types there are. Depending on your programming skills, you could go into scripting the element type to the part you are interested in.
Also, you could mesh, do a simple run, and read through the output file, it lists the type of element it used for each part. This is a good check to see if your scripting works.

Hi cvan42,

First of all, I have to say that I'm a newbie user of ANSYS Workbench. Actually, using ANSYS Workbench (Not like ANSYS)and as I think there is no output file (how can I get this output file to say what type of element was used). After importing the part into ANSYS Workbench and meshing it, in the details of mesh, I couldn't find anything concerning element type, ANSYS Workbench meshes the part without asking for the type of element needed. My simple question is how to see what type of element has been used giving that the mesh is tetrahedral.

Thank you cvan42 for your reply,
Chaabain

Ok, I got the type element: In the folder "My simulation files" there is a file "solve.out" where we can find the type of element used but how could we change the element type if needed. Sorry another newbie question.

Thanks

You can add a Command Object to the part where you want to change the element type.

The entry in the Command Object should read as below if you want to change the element type to a SHELL63:

et,matid,shell63

Note that you can only change to an element type that has the same number of nodes and DOFs that's initially generated by the Workbench mesher.

Dear Timkwan,

I would like to thank you a lot for your help. It works very well.

Finally, I would like to thank all the engineers that help me to solve this problem.

Best Regards,
Chaabain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back