Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Type of flange can be used as channel flange and shell flange in exchangers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinothhsvk

Mechanical
May 16, 2018
IN
Hi all,

I have clarification on what type of flange can be used as channel flange and shell flange in exchangers? customized flange or ASME B16.47 or both??

For example,
In my client specification of heat exchangers clearly mentioned that, the flanges above 24 inch shall be as per ASME B16.47 series - B. But the vendor use customized flange in mechanical design calculation and fabrication drawing also.
My clarification is, can we used customized flange???

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

From a vessel code perspective, both ASME B16 flanges and custom Appendix 2 flanges are permitted, and safe, and frequently used.

From a client specification perspective- how the heck are we supposed to know what they want? Ask your client!

Yes, the customized flange is allowed by the Code as needed. But, since the flange design per B16.47 is acceptable for application by Code and approved by the Client Spec, why to waste the time to make your own design.

Why indeed? If you're building one (1) such exchanger ever, using the B16 flange likely makes the most sense. If you're building hundreds of them, a custom flange will save you material and machine time/labour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back