Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Type of Horizontal Stamping Press?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vonsteimel

Mechanical
Oct 19, 2010
US
I'm a mechanical engineer and I was visiting a small parts stamping operation several years ago and remembered spending some time going over a horizontal stamping press they had.
It was quite unusual and probably old as well. It was a mechanical press they had set up for 4 progressions. The dies were installed horizontally (thus called a horizontal press) and were actuated by large cams.
I was having a conersation with my current boss about progressive dies when I mentioned this press I had saw. He grew up in a stamping operation as a kid and didn't know what I was talking about. I think he thought I was confused about what I saw or something.
Anyway, I've tried to locate information/pictures on this type of press and can't find anything. So I'm assuming it is quite rare and probably old. Its definatly obsolete by today's standards. It was a horizontal stamping press which used large camshafts to actuate the dies. Can anyone tell me the formal name of this type of press or lead me to more information? Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back