Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Type of steam(LP/MP/HP) to be used for steam-out. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mdey2

Chemical
Jul 30, 2019
GB
How to decide what type of steam(LP/MP/HP) to be used for steam-out connection?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is no one simple answer to this question ...

Steam out is a procedure used to THERMALLY clean out a system.

It is important to consider both the maximum temperature that will be acceptable for cleaning and the pressure consequences of an full open valve. Use of HP steam may overpressurize and damage equipment.

Additionally, when the steam condenses, there may be a vacuum condition that the equipment was not designed for. I personally have been involved with many thinned wall components that have been ruined by vacuum due to inexperienced engineers like you ....

What are the temperatures and pressures of your LP/MP/HP steam ?

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

The connection of the steam pipe may be based on the steam-out temperature as required for the operation.
As MJC mentioned, you may make sure the P & T of your LP/MP/HP steam, and use the proper one for the service.

Thank you to both of you for your advice. I'm giving the normal conditions for all the steams in one project;

LP: 4.5 kg, 170C
MP: 17 kg, 280C.
HP: 40 kg, 385C.

And in another project;
LP: 8 kg, 225C.
HP: 40 kg, 385C.
(No MP)

I saw the first case using MP steam for steam-out & flushing condition. Second case using LP steam for the same.
I am getting why they are used for these two projects from MJC's answer.

But if you can give me a tentative pressure/temperature boundary to chose that would be helpful.

Additional information: Both were coker plants in hot sites, so there is no scope of having negative temperature except probably in the Debutanizer section due to auto-refrigeration.

What can MP or HP steam do, that LP steam cannot? If there is no particular reason to steam out the facility at higher temperatures corresponding to MP/HP steam, then LP steam is your choice.

Asset Management

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back