Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Type V Cement with Xypex

Status
Not open for further replies.

derecha1

Civil/Environmental
Mar 9, 2004
US
I am looking for help with a concrete mix we are proposing. We are adding Xypex (a crystalline waterproofing admix) to a Type V cement concrete mix for a water storage tank. The purpose for the Type V is that the soils in the area are high in sulfates. I am hearing the the combination of Xypex and the Type V cement may not work well together.

There have been some suggestions to use Type I/II with 20-25% fly ash replacement in place of Type V. This should do the job to resist sulfate attack.

Any experience or suggestions would be helpful.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Personally, I think the use of Xypex for a water storage tank is overkill. We specify a concrete mix with 25% fly ash replacement and a maximum 0.41 w/(c+p) ratio. This mix is, for all practical purposes, impermeable. I feel Xypex is best used in areas where you are concerned with chloride infiltration. You don't need Xypex to waterproof your tank. I should clarify that almost all the tanks we design and post-tensioned which helps control (really eliminate) cracking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back