Types of Joints in Concrete Wall ACI 224.3R-95

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilde Rosa

Structural
Dec 12, 2017
MM
Dear all,
I don't understand for the vertical contraction joint spacing and construction joint for wall.
Contraction joint spacing should not exceed 25 m (7.6m).
Wall construction joint should be spaced 4.5 to 7.5m (15 to 25 ft) interval with 4.5m from the corner of the structure also.
If so, construction joint and contraction are same as in spacing. Please kindly discuss for it.
Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you could cite the section you're seeing the 15 to 25 ft spacing for construction joints, that would be helpful. Looking at the section on construction joints in walls (8.5 in 224.3R-95), there is no mention of joint spacing in this section.

In practice contraction joints are located as you've noted. Construction joints are typically spaced much wider apart, if any are present at all. Construction joints are typically based on the contractor's schedule and how large of a pour they are willing and able to do on a workday, rather than driven by any engineering requirements.

Dear Mr. Hershey,
Thank you for your discussion.
As my knowledge, construction joint is mostly contractor's scope.
But, in section 8.5, 224.3R-95 describe like "Wall construction joint should be spaced 4.5 to 7.5m (15 to 25 ft) interval with 4.5m (15ft)from the corner of the structure." That statement make me confused that the construction joint spacing is same as contraction joint spacing.

I'm looking at that same section. The sentence you quote does not appear and no mention is made of spacing for construction joints. Screenshot of section 8.5 from 224.3R-95 in its entirety is shown below.

To my knowledge, there are not technical/theoretical limits to construction joint spacing for walls in ACI documents. The only real limit is how much wall the contractor can place in a single pour while still meeting all placement requirements.

Control_Joints_re8zh4.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back