Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Typical CHW heat gain in distribution loop

Status
Not open for further replies.

CelsoIII

Mechanical
Jul 1, 2010
US
Is there a typical efficiency or heat gain rate due chilled water distribution and insulation inefficiencies?

Example: A Chiller producing 1000 tons/hr of which 750 tons are used by fan coil units and maybe the rest is lost in distribution heat gain. In this example the efficiency would be 750/1000 = .75 = 75%

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If your pipework is insulated properly, chilled water temperature rise will be fractions of 1 deg F.

I once calculated this temperature rise in a chilled water distribution network of more than 3.5 km (3500 m) of pipe length and amazingly that rise of water temperature at the other end was only 0.06 deg F. which is negligible for sure.

I don't recall any recommended heat gain to be used for calculating insulation size for CHW pipings (as opposed to warm water), mostly because of the fact that condensation prevention will be issue of more priority in majority of cases, and that will be the factor which imposes insulation thickness.

I have measured a couple of high-rise condo chilled water systems with typical fiberglass or composite insulation and found negligible loss, less than 1/2 Deg F from the chiller outlet to the end of the supply riser 400 feet above.

Usually, if you have significant parasitic losses through the insulation, they will be apparent - condensation dripping all over the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back