Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Typical concrete exposure type for freeze/thaw for outdoor concrete pad in Austin

TXengineer-1

Structural
Oct 25, 2024
I am designing a concrete pad for some electrical equipment outside. It is exposed to weather. Under peer review for my foundation design, it was mentioned that my concrete specification should have an F2 exposure category. I live in Houston and typical concrete design, we don't specific any freeze, thaw specification for concrete for outdoor use. Even if we have a few days of freezing weather once in a while in the winter time. Austin is further up North but still relatively warm. It may have some occasional freezing weather for a few days, but not sure if it will justify specifying F2 exposure for outdoor concrete. Concrete is not in contact with water. I just have the normal exposure to rain and what not. Or it can be exposed to a short duration of snow for a short period of time if temperature happens to drop. Just wanted to get some input from engineers who has work in the Austin area what the common practice is for outside exposed concrete in terms of any freeze thaw exposure categories that needs to be specified.

Back