Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Typical Cost for Decommissioning and Removal of O/H transmission lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

majesus

Electrical
Aug 16, 2007
SA
I am trying to find a unit cost for decommissioning and removing of O/H transmission lines. 2016 PG&E Final Generator Interconnection Unit Cost Guide has the following:

Double Circuit (per mile, $x1000)
69kV = 420
115kV = 420
230kV = 650

Those published values seems high for removal of lines and towers on typical, flat terrain. I was curious if anyone has additional cost estimates for removal of O/H transmission lines that can collaborate.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Majesus,

Can you provide some more background information in terms of the general scope of work? I'm assuming that the OHL removal includes removal of the tower foundations (possibly a huge cost)? Is there any requirement to re-use the existing right of way (RoW), and does this RoW have any possibility of soil contamination? What kind of conditions are you working with (environment, location, access to the location).

There is no easy answer to this question.

At a mine site, runs along a roadside. Flat terrain, in semi-arid environment with easy access. In mid-Southern USA, no Florida swamps. Double circuit, 795MCM ACSR, strung on both sides of steel lattice structure. Removal of structure and conductors. Foundation can stay, however, possible to get an estimated unit cost for both options: foundation remains and its removal?

Total distance is ~3.5miles of line, but as mentioned, looking for typical unit costs.

Regards,
Majesus

Hi majesus,
the costs you mentioned in [1] are really high for decommissioning; maybe they are refering to installation costs.
Here, in Europe, I would roughly estimate something between 50 and 100 k€/km for a 230 kV double circuit OHL.

Si duri puer ingeni videtur,
preconem facias vel architectum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back