Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Typical dynamic loads generated by vehicle engine, driveshaft, and dynamometer

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMGraham

Structural
Nov 22, 2016
CA
I am designing several foundations to support dynamometers connected to vehicle engines by driveshafts. The purpose of my analysis is to minimize the vibrations transmitted to nearby sensitive equipment. My client has not provided the dynamic loads generated by the dynos, driveshafts and engines. Are there typical values for these parameters that could be used when this information is not supplied?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Get the relevant norm (e.g. ISO 8528-9 for gensets, for sure there is an ISO / EN or other for your specific application) which gives the maximum allowed vibration, and use that one for your layout.
You should have the allowed vibration in function of frequency of the sensitive equipment, and can calculate the required damping from that.

Also, if you have 1 piece of sensitive equipment, and many dynometers, it is best to isolate the sensitive equipment.

"The purpose of my analysis is to minimize the vibrations transmitted to nearby sensitive equipment."

Oh man. Are they planning to install all the roof mounted HVAC equipment directly over the president's office too?

Tmoose, think along the lines of an emissions bench on the floor outside of the cell. Have you ever seen a dynamometer excite a natural frequency in the floor that it sits on?

What kind of engines are they testing? V8s? Inline 4? V twin? opposed cylinder? What RPM range?

"Formal education is a weapon, whose effect depends on who holds it in his hands and at whom it is aimed." ~ Joseph Stalin

@burningDiesel
How do you related the allowed vibration (which is a response change according to the foundation the equipment lays on) to dynamic load (which is usually constant regardless of foundation).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back