Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Typical Values on Losses & Impedances of Distribution Transformers

Status
Not open for further replies.

GRAEE

Electrical
Jan 15, 2010
PH
Hello everyone!

Im specifying the losses and impedance of a distribution transformer. I believe that all these parameters are affected by the efficiency being specified as well.

In this regard, can you provide me a table on typical values of impedances & losses of distribution transformers? I will use this as my reference.

Regards,

GRAEE

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The efficiency is determined by the losses. You don't want to specify both. Understand also that if you specify efficiency, you need to state at what loading the efficiency is calculated.

If you have a concern about voltage regulation, you might want to consider specifying a maximum impedance. If you have a concern about fault current, you might want to consider specifying a minimum impedance.

You might also want to consider evaluating load and no-load losses instead of specifying either losses or efficiency.

In addition to searching manufacturers' sites, see NEMA TP-1 Guide for Determining Energy Efficiency for Distribution Transformers at
Also US Dept of Energy
Title 10: Energy
PART 431—ENERGY EFFICIENCY PROGRAM FOR CERTAIN COMMERCIAL AND INDUSTRIAL EQUIPMENT

Each transformer is going to have different losses, how ever you can specified total losses or just the load loss.
If the manufacturer exceed the guarantee number then you can get some money back.( must be stated in the contract)
When you specified the impedance leave your self a room for errors because design engineer has 7% deviation from guarantee impedance....

Dan Dorian Nikelli
Test Supervisor
RB Watkins an Alstom Grid Services

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back