Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tyre clearance

Status
Not open for further replies.

digger200

Automotive
Apr 17, 2007
GB
Can anyone tell me what minimum clearance I could get away with between the sides of a road trailer tyre and a frame. I have always worked with 25mm.
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sufficient so the tyre doesn't rub [ponder]

I would guess that 25mm would be a reasonable minimum allowing for a bit of sway etc in the suspension.

It depends a lot on the suspension. With a tight suspension with little toe change and good lateral location, 1" should be OK.

With dual axles, load sharing loose bushes and long travel, 50mm might be required.

Regards

eng-tips, by professional engineers for professional engineers
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

I have a bog standard (=bone stock for our colonial cousins) B5 Audi S4 and I can’t get a small finger between the tyre and the suspension upright so clearance is about 10mm

Most trailers have primitive suspension with poor axle location. I suspect your Audi has a somewhat better suspension with accurate axle location.

Regards

eng-tips, by professional engineers for professional engineers
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

That's probably 3mm tolerances and 7mm tire growth.

The tire to frame clearance also needs to include lateral compliance of the suspension and a much bigger tolerance stack, 25 sounds good to me.

Cheers

Greg Locock

SIG:please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back