Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tyre steel belt - wire spec 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianGar

Automotive
Jul 8, 2009
IE
Can anyone tell me the material/steel spec for the wire used in the wire belt located in the sole of the tyre?

I'm designing a machine to cut soles to width once sidewalls have been removed, and the ring cross cut. Id like to know what wire it is Im trying to shear when designing/spec'ing the shear blades. This will no doubt spill into the machine forum once I get a spec on what it is Im trying to cut when I need to figure out the shear blade steel.

From testing, I can say the wire is very stiff, cuts like piano wire with a loud click when snipped, and when ground, the sparks tend to cling to the grinding wheel, as well as being emitted. Sparks are more white than yellow.

Thanks in advance.

Brian,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Pat, its no mean feat to cut a sole as Im learning...

I have a machine designed and built here to take off sidewalls with two blades coming in from the sides automatically once toothed feed wheels are lowered onto roller anvils(sole between). The guy paying then realized that this machines finished product/strip is dependent on tyre width. Since he is using(I now know) the strips for pier edges/near boats these would be unsightly if all different widths. So, Im having to bring them to an even 115mm wide. I plan on building a double gang slitter with 4 shear blades, two per side.
Doing a few tests, it takes a bit of pressure, so Im coming out with 30mm steel sides, and 80mm axles, to stop any deflection. No doubt Ill need a box full of feed rollers too to get the strip as far as shear wheels, _safely...fun times ahead.
Hes planning on starting with 2000-3000 tyres, so they may end at your house yet.

Brian,

I suspect your best bet will be cur the rubber close to the steel, then use an angle gridinder with a metal cutting disc. Be prepared for fumes from burning rubber and degrades rubber to steel bonding agents like resorcinol.

Regards
Pat
See FAQ731-376 for tips on use of eng-tips by professional engineers &
for site rules

I have to go shear blade route. Id imagine myself with a grinder for one or two tyres, but not 2000 and someone else.

Just found this video, have a look at 1min in, all I need is 4 of those blades and a 1.5ton frame. It looks to be zipping through the cord very happily.

Do you think they are d2 steel or something more exotic? Should I try get a spec in the Metallurgy forum just by showing that video or would contacting vendors be a better bet?

Thanks Pat,

Brian,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3VLpGeceqg
The bead wire on 1980s vintage non-radial mc tires was harder than my Wiss bulldog snips' jaws. A buddy put a nice knick in the snips using an improper tire removal technique.

Thanks for that, and a good find. I have contacted a few blade companies, so lets see what they come back with to shear said steel.

Brian,

Yes, think piano wire. This is cold drawn high carbon steel.

Brian, In that video they are not cutting steel belts. These are bias ply truck tires, not steel belted radials.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

Again, great Info. What are peoples thoughts on shearing this in sole form with a gang rotary shear arrangement?

Say 50mm-80mm wide surrogate hubs running tool steel rims, mounted to 80mm approx shafting?

The shear in the video looks good, wonder what spec those blades are, and if they need service often!

Still waiting on blade vendors to return mails,

Brian,

Ed, didnt spot that, i thought the zzzzzzzzzzzzzz sound was the steel, not cord.

That puts a whole other light on things.

I do notice, that chippers exist, and other shear recycling grinders that seem to handle this stuff easy. Hammel springs to mind as to one machine.

Thanks all,

Brian,

That looks like a mold steel, not a blade steel. 41-47 HRC seems way to soft to me.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

I thought the exact same thing which is why I posted what they came back with....

But, all three companies were from/near Sheffield, and making shear blades for a long time.

Once company stated that this is what they use for the shear blades in the large gang rotary shear tow behind shredders - that handle scrap, tyres, wood, engine blocks, etc...

Not fully sure what to do now, wondering if they are lying on grade incase I would make myself - or take elsewhere, but strange they all suggested it...

I did send wire specs above to them, so they know what they are dealing with...

?

Brian,

your material to be cut is around 63HRc, you're going to need something harder to cut it. CPM10V, D2, CPM15V, any of the very hard, modern tool steels will work. When I was at a secondary steel processor our slitter knives were made of D2.

Nick

Nick,

Getting back to this for the last time,

Got in touch with a good company in the Uk.

Explained my case.
They have a large range of experience with job in hand, and wire in hand.
They suggested I go with Hardox Extreme over D2 as they have found it retains a better edge even though it reads a little softer.

I took their advice and ran with it. Since each Hardox disc(220mm) is only 77stg, compared to 400stg(ish) for a D2 equivalent Im prepared to run with four for a test.
They use this Hardox grade in gang type rotary shear shredders that take anything, from concrete, to tyres.
They also use it for chippers, used to chip tyre soles, so all I can do is try it out given that they are suggesting it so strongly.

Thanks for your help,

Brian,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back