Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

U.S.A. - Massive fire, Illinois Carus Chemical, chemical plant , no injuries reported

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Idk about the purple stuff, but one of the videos in the link said "to not touch a GREEN chemical residue because it can stain skin".

Good Luck,
Latexman

I would suspect that "staining your skin" would be the least of the concerns that I would have if I found purple and green 'slime' laying around my yard right after an explosion at a nearby chemical plant.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

I'll assume the material being found in the community is wet if it is slimy. If they let it dry out while it is on flammable materials, that could result in some problems. But it sounds like the situation is well in hand with no injuries and notices going out to the community. The company seems to have plenty of experience with the material and I'd assume the release response will likely be handled by knowledgeable professionals.

- Andrew

SuperSalad,

Carus also makes Polymers. Given that, they may have reducers on site too. Mixing oxidizers and reducers in concentrated form is kind of like mixing matter and anti-matter. BOOM! Flash Fire! This is my pure speculation. I have read nothing that suggests that is what happened. I am interested in hearing the real reason. Hopefully we don't have to wait months/years on the CSB!

Good Luck,
Latexman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back