Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UCL-36 straight chromium stainless steel filler metal

Status
Not open for further replies.

2468jjcr

Petroleum
Aug 2, 2007
Hi,

UCL-36, Require RT for straight chromium stainless steel filler metal shall be examined throughout their full length. How do we know which filler metal is straight chromium stainless steel.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

From a little research (Googling), here is what I have discovered.

I would be comfortable saying that the martensitic and ferritic grades of stainless (those that do not contain any nickel) are considered straight chromium stainless steels.

The austenetic grades (those that contain nickel) are not considered straight chromium stainless steels.

Here is the reference that I base this on:

As for filler metals classified this way, I would make the presumption that the exclusion of nickel in the composition would be classify it as a straight chromium stainless steel.

I would definitely get another opinion on this from a metallurgical expert before I would stand behind my research.
I have not had to worry about UCL-36 ever before.
Good Luck!

Straight chromium grades of filler metal are considered at or above 5% Cr as the predominant alloy element, and are air hardenable from welding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back