UCS-66 / ASME SA-516 Gr.70 Fine Graine Practice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mich_A

Mechanical
Dec 5, 2023
IT
Hello everyone,

I would like to ask you for confirmation on a particular comment reported to us for UCS-66 - impact test requirements, specifically regarding the ASME SA-516 gr.70 fine-grained material produced and normalized.

Considering the ASME II Ed.2023, there is the note:
"The steel shall be killed and shall conform to the fine grain size requirement of specification A20/A20M"
So I assume that all SA-516 are fine-grained products and that the difference between curves B, C, and D is based on heat treatment. For this reason, I believe that the correct allocation of ASME SA-516 Gr.70 fine-grained and normalized is curve D, where all SA-516s have been listened.

However, in corrispondence of Curve C, there is the note:
"All material listened in Notes 2(a) and 2(c) for curve B if produced to fine grain practice and normalized, normalized and tempered, or liquid quenched and tempered as permitted in the material specification, and NOT LISTENED FOR CURVE D BELOW"

The customer pointed out to me that, with a fine-grained product, ASME SA-516 Gr.70 would be covered by the C curve.
Do you have any experience with this?
All the certificates and products I have seen mention SA-516 Gr.70 fine grain and considering the following threads, it is always producted in that way, so it couldn't fell in curve C, in my opinion, if this requirement is also mandatory by ASME II.

Thank you all in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

SA-516 70 since its inception was made to fine grain melting practice and was always comsidered to belong on curve D since it was incorpraed into ASME Section VIII, Div. 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back