UCS 66 ; governing thickness!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rango333

Mechanical
Apr 29, 2014
CA
Hi!
If I have a SA-516 70N Cylinder of 0.375 in thk which is welded with a 2:1 ellipsoidal head of 1 in (also SA-516 70N) then what should be the governing thickness for elliptical head. As per UCS-66.1(a) it should be the thickness of the thickest welded joint; but Compress is considering the governing thickness of 0.375in and making it exempt from Impact test requirements (MDMT is -50), for Cylinder itself thickness of 3/8" makes sense (as straight flange will be tapered down) but for Cover the two welded joints would be (3/8 in & 1 in) so I think the governing thickness for Cover should be 1 in.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How are you accomplishing the transition in thickness between the 1" and 3/8" thick materials? By fillet weld build-up or tapering the base material?

You might want to contact Codeware technical support and ask them.

Yep, I contacted with Support they sent me the said interpretation. What does this means; "fillet weld build-up" is this means welding without making a taper??? can you allowed to do that for two parts where the difference of thicknesses is greater than 1/8" ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back