Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Udate on "traffic light engineer". 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good article and great news.

============
"Is it the only lesson of history that mankind is unteachable?"
--Winston S. Churchill

I like the public dressing down of the Board by the Judge.
Hopefully they will finally take this to heart.
A few decades ago, the Oregon board had a big problem with a company called
something like domestic engineers which was a maid service.

Hydrae

article said:
Specifically, his formula takes into account the time required for drivers to slow down if they are turning at an intersection.

Do US cameras catch you if you're still in the intersection when the light turns red? Entering the intersection after the light turns red (rather than still being in the intersection) is what triggers them here and I don't think that driving slowly to turn would be an excuse. If you're already slowing down to turn, you'd be better able to stop than if you were going straight, unless the yellow is really short.

I thought his analysis also had determined that the length of the yellow lights were not appropriate at certain rates of speed, i.e. the light changed to red too fast. But perhaps I'm just thinking about how locally where I am all amber lights are the same duration, regardless of it being a 50 km/hr or an 80 km/hr zone.

In California, at least based on what I was told in 'traffic school' some 35 years ago (got a ticket my first year after moving to California - have only gotten one since) and that is that you're NOT allowed to 'enter' an intersection after the light turns RED. However, as long as your front tires were over the line indicating the edge of the cross lane, you're OK. Note that while some of the larger cities here use red-light cameras, they are often so inaccurate that if you challenge them in court, the driver often wins. Also, in order for the ticket to be legal, the camera must capture a clear image of BOTH the driver's face AND the license plate.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

Red light cameras around here will net you a ticket regardless of it capturing your face... license plate is enough. Of course, there are no points on your license, but the fines can be stiff and they get attached to the car... so don't let lead-foot friends drive it while you're out of town.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

In California, only the driver can be ticketed for a moving violation. Now if the car is unsafe or something fails to meet regulation or the plates are expired, than the ticket goes to the owner.

EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

I know this is primarily a US conversation, but you get off light. In Australia, if you trigger a red light camera or a fixed speed camera, a fine arrives in the mail to the registered owner, with a photo showing your plate and location. Points on the license of the owner, and to change that, you have to prove it by way of statutory declaration.

As well, we have random breath testing (booze buses). No reason required.

The latest, in Queensland, is a $1000 fine and four points for holding a mobile phone while driving.

That is because we have a Constitution that places the burden of proof on the government rather than the citizen.

Where I am, it's quite similar to Australia apparently, except we do not get points on the registered owner's license for a camera ticket. But the random breathalyzer and the fines for distracted driving are similar.

JohnRBaker, Some states, including Oregon and apparently CA, require you to stop on yellow if it is safe to do so (e.g., you're far enough that you don't have to slam on the brakes to stop before entering the intersection, a semi isn't tailgating you, etc.). In NY, you can enter the intersection on yellow, if it's safe to do so. I think I prefer the stop on yellow rule.

My glass has a v/c ratio of 0.5

Maybe the tyranny of Murphy is the penalty for hubris. -

apparently CA, require you to stop on yellow if it is safe to do so

Requirements and actualities are often very disparate things, particularly in protected left turns. They already slowed down to make the turn, yet, my light turns green and lefties are still crossing 3 lanes to finish their turns.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

As well, we have random breath testing (booze buses). No reason required.

We have similar stateside. Legally law enforcement cannot stop an individual without probable cause but they get around it by setting up random checkpoints where they stop everyone passing along a given stretch of highway. Mostly they catch petty crimes like not having proof of insurance in the vehicle or expired licenses and registration but occasionally they'll get a DUI or other felony. Personally I object to all of it, particularly when fines go directly into the dept's budget.

Note that while some of the larger cities here use red-light cameras, they are often so inaccurate that if you challenge them in court, the driver often wins.

In many states today the driver automatically loses by going to court as even when proven innocent they still have to pay a hefty court fee.

I always thought the case was weird. It's not like he started an engineering firm and tried to sell advice to a city representing himself as a PE. Lot's of professor's and PHD's aren't licensed.

In most states red light camera fines are not moving violations, because there is no one to testify on behalf of the state.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy

In California, red-light violations, no matter how they're 'detected', carry a fine and points against your license, which is why it's imposed on the driver and not the owner of the vehicle, hence the need for a clear shot of the driver's face.

EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back