Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

UDF will not run in Excel 365

Status
Not open for further replies.

yakpol

Structural
Jun 1, 2001
CA
I was surprised to find that UDF do not work in the latest MS office worksheet. UDF name appears on the list after typing "=" sign, but then it becomes unrecognized (#NAME?).
If anybody encountered it and managed to solve? Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

From mintjulep's second link:

Macros aren't required for everyday use like reading or editing a document in Word or using Excel workbooks. In most cases you can do everything you need to do in Office without allowing macros to run.

Which is really irritating, even by Microsoft standards, but if you go down to the bottom of the link and unhide the text on what to do if you are sure the file is safe, it does actually give some helpful advice.

Doug Jenkins
Interactive Design Services

Does MS yet offer graded access to macros? Like limiting macros to only making changes to the active document and not getting the entire OS access including reaching the network and the internet? This business of allowing a macro enough access to obliterate an organization from a Word document seems like an obvious flaw. At least they should have allowed an "examination" mode where the macro is available to be edited, but cannot run, so a user knows if it's something that makes a useful change or is intended to cripple a company.

Thank you for replies. I will try to change properties of the file. Doubt it's going to help. The file I am using has plenty of macros and they run fine. But UDF does not. Wonder if there's a way to register, so it may act as native function.

If its only UDFs that don't work and all the other macros do then it can't be due to macros being disabled.

Do all UDFs show this behaviour?

Was this change in behaviour after a Windows or Office upgrade?

I use Office 365, with lots of UDFs, but I haven't had this problem (yet).

Doug Jenkins
Interactive Design Services

Do your have all the necessary Object Libraries referenced in Tools > References... in your VBA Editor?

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back