UG-34 Sketches (j) and (k) 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

GinBread

Mechanical
May 6, 2022
US
Hello,

I have a question about how to interpret "d" which is defined as "diameter, or short span, measured as indicated in Figure UG-34" in relation to the two sketches (j and k) in the subject.

I've heard it a couple of different ways:

1) It appears that the line for d goes to the outer diameter of the hub of the flange that the blind is attached to, so therefore "d" is the hub outer diameter.

2) "HG" and "d" are both shown measured to the same line, and the definition for HG kicks you over to Appendix 2, Table 2-5.2, and that diagram shows "G", the gasket reaction diameter also being measured to the same line as "HG", therefore "d" is the same as "G" from Appendix 2.

Would love to hear from some folks on this.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

GinBread for both sketches "d" is to the mean gasket diameter, G as per Apx 2. Hub dimensions are are generally not relevant to UG-34 calculations. Flat heads...

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

SnTMan,

Thanks for the reply. Do you happen to know why ASME doesn't add to the definition of "d" that for these two sketches it is equal to "G" from Appendix 2? It could help to further clarify for some. Perhaps this is a question that has never been posed to them before?

r6155,

#2 above is what I thought it was. #1 is coming from my coworker with a PhD and PE. It's a bit of interpersonal conflict going on.

GinBread, "d" (UG_34) is indirectly defined as "G" (Apx 2) per the quantity "hg" in UG-34. As you can see "d" in UG-34 necessarily takes on various meanings based on the various details. I suppose "G" is omitted for simplicity. I don't know whether this definition is clarified by interpretation or not, but here's a link if you want to look :)

Regards,

MIke

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

SnTMan,

I was able to find an interpretation (BPV VIII-1-19-13) that confirms exactly what we've discussed. Thank you for sharing this link as well, I had no idea ASME had a free searchable database of interpretations. Every company I've been to so far has made no mention of it and has directed me to go through our insurance agency/inspector.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back