Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UG CAM 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

21SD115

Automotive
Feb 24, 2005
CA
Hi everyone.
Could anyperson let me know if UG NX1 CAM package calculate and display machining time for a tool path and/or operation generated by UG CAM? We need to know if it is possible for UG CAM to calculate the machining time for a tool path or operation after this tool path is generated?
Thanks for your helps.
David.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You must be using UG/Post. Their is a code snipet on the UG BBS for adding the machining time to your postbuilder generated code.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."
"Fixed in the next release" should replace "Product First" as the PTC slogan.

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

We get the machine time from Vericut as it's much more accurate. If UGPost uses the same math as gpm, it will be way short of the actual. Yes, you then have to manually enter the text into the prog header but it only take a second.

--
Bill

Hi, Bill.
I am still not sure where I sould enter the code. The code I found out is: "mom_cutting_time", or "mom_event_time" , or "mom_machine_time". Are these the right codes for the machining time? When and where is the maching time calculated and displayed? Could you let me know where is the prog header? Is it the G-Code program generated by the postprecessor?
Thanks,
David.

Hi David,

What I meant was, just manually enter the time (after posting) as a comment near the begining of the program. the Prog header (at least as I consider it) is just the begining statements you see at the start of the program. It would include the part no, revsion, setup info, etc...

If your asking to have UGPost (Postbuilder) do it, it would be put in the "Start of Program" section. I'm no expert on Post builer so perhaps someone else will chime in.

Most of us 5ax aerospace programmers in job shops are still using GPM. While primitive compared to UGPost, it is reliable and no one wants to change as there is never any time or money to do it.

--
Bill

hi
the mom_machine_time is the total machining time, but when i want to read this variable in my shop_doc template, the nx warn me: no such variable! What is the problem? The variable doesn't exist until posting the programs?

That is correct. You have to post the file in order for the machine time to be calculated.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."
"Fixed in the next release" should replace "Product First" as the PTC slogan.

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

so how can i use this machine time value in the shop_docs, if i generate programs from nx with the batch? how can i store the values, and redirect to the shop_docs?

if i modify the postprocessor to write out the mahhining time of the program, the system gives an error:
1770002 O:\ugnx301\..\mom_tcl_definitions.c, line No.492
Error Message:Error received in do_event. Event handler:<my postprocessor>, Event name: MOM_end_of_program, see syslog..

(I have no O: drive...)i think this message tell sg for the developers, but not for me...
the post writes the nc program, but at his event the process quits...

i created a custom command, what i call from this event:

proc PB_CMD_TIME{}{global mom_machine_time
MOM_output_literal "( MEGMUNKALASI IDO: $mom_machine_time )"
}

what's the problem?

there are other propblems too...
when i generate a toolpath, there are simple parameters like cut depth (a<SUB>p</SUB>)
and stepover..but i don't find mom_ variable to this parameters. how can i extract this variables?

when i replay a program, after each operation the nx refreshes the screen...
but i need all the operations graph to print them...
is there a solution?

first-excuse me for my bad english-I'm a bulgarian
I have on my posts/builded in POSTBUILDER/ cutting time 2 years and so already.I work with NX CAM from NX1.
I like very much to do my job with this amazing system.

What you can do? :

1.In the "*.def" file /your postprocessor/ put "BLOCK TEMPLATE full_cutting_time N[$mom_cutting_time]" .
2.Open your postprocesor with POSTBUILDER and after the block "END OF PROGRAM" write down "MOM_do_template full_cutting_time".

Succes and Rock'N'Roll :)

i make a shopdoc, and i think it is possible to integrate the documentation the posting process, as a call for the postprocessor TCL, but i have some questions.
in the top of the postproc.tcl there is
Code:
if { ![info exists mom_sys_post_initialized] } {
     source ${cam_post_dir}ugpost_base.tcl ...
what is that info? where it read from?
does the nx generate it, when you click ok in the postprocessing window?
how the postprocessing works? does it only change the internal CL codes, format values (at 3axis milling), and insert additional code words?
could anybody help me?

----
kukelyk

HondaEdge

viva BG [flip]

(???? ?? ?????? ??? ??? ?????? ?? ?? ?????? ??????? ?? ??????????, ?? ?? ?? ??????) [nosmiley]

excuse me everybody for the offtopic.

Non-standard Equipment Designer

To see all of the variables that are available when you process shop docs add this proc to your *.tcl file that you are running, and call it from:

proc MOM_End_Part_Documentation {} {

#=============================================================================
proc get_globals_and_commands { } {
#=============================================================================
set global_vars [lsort [info globals]]

foreach global_var $global_vars { MOM_output_to_listing_device $global_var }

MOM_output_to_listing_device \

"___________________________________________________"

set commands [lsort [info commands]]

foreach command $commands { MOM_output_to_listing_device $command }
}

It should display all of the variables that are available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back