Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UG NX in relation to I-DEAS 10 NX

Status
Not open for further replies.

fredmila

Specifier/Regulator
Feb 11, 2008
GB
Since Unigraphics NX and I-DEAS NX now both belong to Siemens, is there a relationship between the two? for instance, is it possible to exchange data with history and library status between the two?
Alternatively, how similar are they in such a way that someone with a lot of experience in I-DEAS can learn to use UG NX fairly quickly?
Finally, how much is a single user licence of UG NX?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As for your first question, yes there are migration (it only goes one way) tools which provide a means to convert Ideas models into NX models while preserving history as well as assembly structure and relationships including drawings with associative annotation and dimensions.

As for the second, I'll let someone who has made the transition comment on that however I will mention that we have developed training classes and material aimed at helping people transition from Ideas to NX as well as supporting documentation to assist in seeing how which Idea function maps to which NX function. We have even added a 'feature' to NX called the 'Command Finder' which allows the user to enter the name of function, using terminology from Ideas (or most any other system for that matter) and it will show you which NX functions are the closest equivalent and then proceeds to show you exactly where you can find these functions and allows you to even launch tehm directly from this tool.

As for your last request, you will needed to contact someone at Siemens or one of our partners for information like that. I would suggest that you start with our website...

...where you will find information about where and how to contact someone for more information.

If you're not located here in North America and would like contact information for your country/region, select the first item on the Left-hand side of the page under the item titled 'Siemens PLM Software' next to the small map of the world. There you will find links to other country/regions where you can find local contact information.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back