Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UG Part configurations 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

2SRPE

Mechanical
Nov 25, 2008
US
I need to be able to show in a drawing the internals to a part that gets modified. I also however need to show that same part, without the cut used to see inside, when placing it in an assembly view. I know in ProE this is called an instace of a part, or in SolidWorks its call a configuration of a part. I would think that UG would have this functionality, or at least a similar method of doing it. Can someone please offer support on how it is done if possible?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What version of NX?

In Pro/E it would be a simplified rep, not an instance.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

If what you're looking for is something like this...

PMISection.jpg

...then you will need to upgrade to at LEAST NX 4.0 as this is one of the capabilities available using the PMI tools available starting in NX 4.0.

The above picture shows two views of the same assembly on the same drawing, only I used the PMI Section tool to create a section of the 'Model' which I then added to the drawing as an additional view.

You can do something similar using Pictorial Sections in NX 3.0, but generally this sort of thing is better suited for the PMI tool.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Thanks John, that is close to what I'm looking for. But to give another example; this might make it a little more clear. Imagine that I have a 1/4-20 socket head cap screw that is 1/2" long as a basea model. Instead of making another part model for a 1/4-20 socket head cap screw that is 3/4" long, I want to make a "configuration" of the 1/4-20 X 1/2". It is the same part file but with two different lengths that can be set to which ever is needed. I hope this helps.

What it sounds like that you want is a Family Table Part. This is a parametric part file, in this case a Socket Head Cap Screw, where it comes in different sizes and lengths. All you do is add one of these master 'Family Table' parts to your assembly and the system will automatically ask you to select which diameter/length Socket Head Cap Screw you wish to add to your assembly. This way a single part file can create, on demand, any one of hundreds of different sizes of a certain type of fastener.

To help you understand how this works, I've attached a sample of an SAE (English) Socket Head Cap Screw master template 'Family Table' Part. Just add it to your assembly and select from the list of sizes your desired size and then complete the operation just like it was any other component part being added to an assembly.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

Hi yall
Does anybody have a Family Table Part for a "spring pin set"?
Like a Misumi "Jector Pin Set" or equivalent.
These come with a ejector/lifter pin, spring & set screw.

Thanks,
James

That would be better addressed in a new thread.

"Good to know you got shoes to wear when you find the floor." - [small]Robert Hunter[/small]

Thanks John, I think we're getting close. If I may offer another example; If I had a solid cylinder as the base part and wanted to add a configuration in the same file with the cylinder with a hole down the center, so that when I create the drawing I can have a view of the cylinder with out the hole and a view with the cylinder with the hole. I can accomplish the same thing by removing the edge of the circle with a "dependent edit", however this doesn't give me two different parts that I can apply attributes to.

The part family solution is good for the last example specified, but I don't think it meets the needs of the original post. For the original post I was thinking of using reference sets. Then insert the model into the drawing file twice, each with a different reference set. The one reference set would be with the body cut into to show the inside of the part. There is also the possibility of a using a broken view in drafting. Why won't that work?

I apologize, but the last post was more in lines for what I was trying to get at when I initially started this thread. I would agree with you that a broken view or simply a section view could possibly even work for what was described in the first post. I will look into the part family solution you suggested, should this be available with NX3? Is there somewhere I might be able to go to get more info?

Yes, there is training in CAST for it. Also check out this quick interactive video that John Joyce made. It uses a later version of NX but I am pretty sure that not much has changed regarding the part family creation and editing since NX 3.
Also keep in mind that the part family does make a seperate part file (read only) for each family member. You were asking for only one part file.

The sample Family Table part I attached to my last post was created years ago and is completely compatible with NX 3.0. As for learning more about Family Table parts, have you read the User Documentation?

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

There is very little difference in family tables between NX and Pro/E in the way they are constructed. If you have done a FT in WF, then you should be able to do one in NX.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

2SRPE, i use SW and NX so i can understand what you're after. I think the feature of NX you want to be looking up is "Reference Sets" as listed mentioned by BOPdesigner above. This should allow you to get what you're after.

You may also wish to look at 'Arrangements' was well as they allow you to configure Sub-Assemblies with different content and positioning of components. For example, have a valve that is assembled with the value either Open or Closed (same components, just in two different positions or 'arrangements')...

Valve_Arrangements.jpg

Or an assembly where you would like to configure it with different parts, say a hand-cranked shaft which can have one of 3 different style of hand-wheels, but yet still being the same assembly...

Pedestal_Arrangements.jpg

Anyway, you should look at Arrangements as well as the other options mentioned in this thread.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

Thank you all for your help. I will look into the reference sets a little more. I know the arrangement feature is only possible for assemblies. Anyway, thanks again.

The issue with Reference Sets is that while you define them at the 'piece part' level, they are only effective when the part is added to an Assembly as a Component.

Please note that we highly recommend that you try and AVOID creating References Sets in an Assembly file. If you suddenly feel the urge to do so, please try to suppress the urge, but baring that, take a serious look at Arrangements as the preferred Alternative. While it is possible to create Reference Sets in an Assembly, long term they tend to create problems for people who have to later work on your assemblies and how might not be aware of what you have done.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back