Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ugraf.exe consumes 99% of CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhushanad

Automotive
Aug 13, 2005
IN
Hi
Sometimes while working, UG doesn't respond.
I work on small files ; not large assemblies. In task manager, I see ugraf.exe consumes 99% of CPU.
Only option for me is to kill the process and start again.This is very frustrating. Has anybody faced this problem? I'll be grateful if anyone can help me out.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have also had this happen. How long do you wait before you kill the process? At seemingly random times it will stop responding (in task manager it will be listed as 'not responding') and cpu usage will shoot up; but if I let it go for a minute or so, 8 times out of 10 it will go back to normal.

I have not had it happen lately, and if memory serves I was not working on anything overly large or complicated at the time.

What version of UG/NX are you working with?

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli
Sr IS Technologist
L-3 Communications

Currently I'm working on NX3. But I faced this problem even while working on NX2 as well.
cowski:
Sometimes I even waited for 1-2 hrs just to check whether it goes back to normal; but in vain.
As you said, in task manager it is listed as 'not responding'.

I do not know if this is a problem in UG or not. It is in other packages. If you have hyper threading turned on, you might want to turn it off and see it that helps.

yeah...UG actually recommends you disable hyper-threading.

But...are you guys actually executing a command when this happens or is it just happening regardless of what you're doing? If so....do you remember what commands?

Also....what hardware are you running on?

Take care...

Hi Hellbent
It doesn't happen for any specific commands; but I observed it happens more frequently when I rotate, while shifting from drawing to modeling or in drawing while making display sheet ON/ Off.
Hardware I'm running on:
CPU 3.20GHz.
2.00 GB Ram.
OS: Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service pack 2.

I'll try with disabling the hyper thread.
thank you so much.

What driver version? I have updated all of our 1300/1400 drivers to 81.67 released in Nov. 2005.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli
Sr IS Technologist
L-3 Communications

I think you must save your part before to make some complicate operation otherwise you can lose all your work, some other think you should disable HT that it's the reason for your 90% usage of the processor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back