Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UGS 2006 CIP Voting Underway 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xwheelguy

Automotive
Mar 17, 2004
US
Hello all,

I figured I'd let those that do not already know that the CIP ballots are online and ready for users to input their votes.

In case you do not know, this is where you, the user, get to vote on which ERs you'd like to see added to the NX product line. All you have to do is join PLM World (it's free and no strings attached), input your sold-to ID and contact information and then you're eligible to vote. This is NOT a drive or recruiting for PLM World membership either, just a reminder that this is the time for you to make a difference in the NX product line. I am a member of the CIP Technical Committee that helps come up with this ballot and I'd like to get as many users involved with this because I feel there is a big differece between what UGS wants to add to NX and what the users want to have added. Also, this is NOT the only way ERs are added to NX, but it is the ONLY chance the users get to actually vote on which ERs they want added to NX. UGS has committed to adding the most voted upon ER.

I feel there are some really good enhancements on the ballot this year, so I encourage those that want to see some changes in NX or I-deas to visit the following URL and take part in the CIP voting:
Remember, you must first register at plmworld.org before voting. Registration is free and there are absolutely no strings attached. You MIGHT receive informational emails from PLM World, but you can unsubscribe from those if you find them annoying. Again, this is NOT a recruitment or membership drive...we just want as many users voting as possible.

Should you have any questions about the CIP process, joining PLM World or if you want to join the committee that votes on the ERs, feel free to ask here or visit the bbsnotes and see the thread I posted there earlier this week.

Thanks for your time,

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

I just had a teleconference today with some members of the PLM World Modeling Technical Committee and UGS product managers. Here are the CIP results and all the info I could get on their current status and implementation. They are listed based upon number of votes received. This list DOES NOT mean UGS will for sure be implementing every single one of these items. They only guarantee us the #1 item.

1. Redo - Add the ability for a Redo command. This was the number one vote getter and will be implemented in NX5. Currently, Redo is available in NX4 Sketcher (or so I have been told....I don't have NX4 installed).

2. Associative Transform - Add the ability to associatively transform geometry. This is an ongoing project for NX5 where UGS is overhauling BOTH Arrays and Transformations. Based upon the info I got, UGS will implement a new command called Geometry Array that will be able to array all geometry types (bodies, sheets, lines, arcs, points, sketches, datums) either associatively or non-associatively. I'm personally breathing a BIG sigh of relief after 5 solid years of complaining. I plan on signing up for NX5 Beta testing, so I'll keep an eye on this and see how it progresses.

3. Feature Array Enhancements - It is widely known that NX currently has major issues with Feature Arrays. UGS is currently working on overhauling ALL arrays. This will hopefully be ready for NX5, but sounds more like NX6 will be the actual implementation.

4. Make Quick Trim/Quick Extend available outside of Sketcher - This ER didn't have a very good description or example of what was wanted, so even though it garnered quite a few votes, there is more input needed to clarify exactly what the users want.

5. Improve WCS Display - There are supposedly certain instances where the WCS is not visible or is very hard to see. Chances are this will eventually be implemented but UGS did not indicate when.

6. Layer and Category Enhancements - There wasn't much said about this, but UGS is interested in improving the current layering and category scheme. However, they need solid descriptions and workflow examples in order to make sure they're giving us what we want.

7. Suppress/Unsuppress Mating Conditions - Mating Conditions are currently being completely overhauled. I didn't not hear when the new mating conditions would be implemented, but I am assuming it is being targeted for NX5.

8. 3 Face Blend - Everyone wants it, UGS doesn't want to screw with it....what's new? Doesn't sound too promising that this capability will be added anytime soon. We (the users) need to show that this is a priority by voting for it during the CIP voting the next time around (beginning of 2007).

9. Move to Layer with MB3 - Again, lack of description and workflow examples will probably cause this to not make the NX5 launch.

10. Associative Body Array - See items 2 and 3 above. Same applies here - targeted for NX5 launch.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Tim,
Thanks for the update. It is encouraging that items 2 & 3 made it so high on the list. Maybe we'll actually see them come to fruition in the next few years.

Do you happen to have the CAM voting enhancements as I believe that the web site is now dead and I’m interested to see what was up for offer?

Sorry Jason, I'm not a member of the CAM Technical Committee, just Modeling and Assemblies. If I happen to see any postings, I'll add them here. Same goes for those interested in Drafting.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Here are the CAM CIP results for NX5. These are just word for word from the presentation. I'm assuming what's in parentheses is the planned implementation:

1. Cut & Paste between parts (NX5 candidate, NX6)

2. Non-cutting consolidation (last year's #1 ER; starts in NX5)

3. Probing (start in NX5)

4. Consistent Z-level start points (NX5)

5. Variable axis roughing

6. Cut across voids enhancements (some start in NX5)

7. Avoid small areas in Cavity Mill

8. Associative MCS (use constructor, not dynamics)

9. Tool length analysis

10. Cut levels by scallop height (NX5)

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Here are the Drafting CIP results. Note that the Top 10 were not all listed from 1 though 10, as it appears UGS just picked what they wanted. Their final ranking is defined by the numerals shown below. I added any additonal details that were shown on the PDF I have. Note that some items were already present in NX4 but users still went ahead and wasted votes on them. Parly the TC's fault and partly UGS' fault for those even making the ballots:

1. Auto placement for dimensions - Add placement type (Automatic, Manual arrows in, Manual arrows out) & leader side selection to the main dimensioning palette where they appear as drop downs. [Scheduled for NX5]

2. Associative Leader Alignment - Associatively align GD&T, Label, and ID Symbol leaders with dimension lines so if the dimension moves, the GD&T, Label or ID Symbol leader attachment also moves. [Delivered in NX4]

3. Shaded Views on Drawings - Add the ability to have any view on a drawing display as shaded. It should work like any other view, so the user can dimension it, annotate it, etc. It should plot and print. [Scheduled for NX5]

6. Multiple Dimension Move with Associativity - Allow for the ability to move multiple dimensions at a time. [Delivered in NX 4 for Drafting and NX 5 for PMI]

11. Double Headed Arrows - Provide the ability to create dimensions with double arrowheads. This is used in situations where a view is too large to fit on the drawing sheet. [Scheduled for NX5]

7. Convert Manual Text to Associated Text - Provide the ability to convert manual text back to associative dimensions. Thus, you will not be required to delete and recreate dimensions that were accidentally changed or are no longer required to be manual text. [Scheduled for NX5]

14. View Label Enhancements - Provide the ability to format the view label so it may be displayed above or below the view automatically. In addition, provide the ability to have the view label and view scale on the same line. [Scheduled for NX5]

Not sure what happened to the rest of the ERs, as I was not present for any sort of discussion regarding the Drafting items.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

I would like to be able to reassociate GD&T rather than re-creating them. Or am I missing something and you can already do that in NX3.0?

I thought of something else, but I have forgotten what it is, I'll repost when I remember.

Justin Ackley
Design Engineer
jackley@gmail.com

Another thing I thought of, after editing a set of curves that are for an extrusion or revolve, I would like to see some sort of edit defining string in the Edit Curve menu. I know Sketch has this option.

Would be nice to redefine a string for an extrusion rather than have it error out and then redefine.

Just would take a step out of the equation.

Justin Ackley
Design Engineer
jackley@gmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back