Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UL bus rating vs overcurrent device

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcgyvr

Mechanical
Aug 8, 2006
US
This just doesn't seem right to me and wanted to see what others think. We use a product (DC fuse panel) with a bus rating of 100A. Per UL we need to protect it with a max. 125A overcurrent device. However they only thermal test that product to the bus rating of 100A. With a 125A overcurrent device that product could hum along for ever at 125A without the overcurrent device ever tripping.

I would think that you should protect it with an overcurrent device no greater than your bus rating. So bus rating = 100A, overcurrent device = 100A. Is this yet another hole in the standards that hasn't been plugged?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Rats, that standard isn't in my library, so I can't see it in context.

Could it be that there's an allowance for loads that have inrush current (capacitive things I guess)? Same way we protect motor circuit conductors with overcurrent protection set higher than listed ampacity.

I can see how that might be needed. Each circuit coming off your bus has its own fuse protection, so if properly designed it might be OK.

Personally, I'd put a 100% protector on it (or less, depending on my loads)... The 125% is a maximum after all.

Anyway, I'm just thinking while typing --

Anybody else out there?

Good on ya,

Goober Dave

Yes each circuit has its own fuse. This usually feeds only resistive loads. The product is basically a large input connection which feeds multiple fuses that provide protection to multiple pieces of equipment. Just like any other fuse/breaker panel in your house,etc... It just bothers me that the products are only tested by UL to 100A but then allowed to be fused at 125% so the panel could be running over its tested rating for an indefinite time which can easily create a fire hazard,etc... Then it is also recommended to use a 2 AWG wire to feed the panel which is only rated to 115A per NEC 310.16 75 deg C column.

It just doesn't seem right.

I guess this comes from requirements to size overcurrent device at 125% of the continuous rating. So the continuous rating of that panel is 100A. But I would still think UL should test the product to 125A since it "could' run at 125A for an extended period with a 100% rated overcurrent device. 125A is worst case scenario and not 100A.. Just another hole in the testing/safety world IMO

mcgyvr,

You have to remember that UL comes in thinking about fire safety 1st and above all other concerns. Electrical safety, while important is a second class citizen. I've worked with UL on products under UL 1778, 60950, & 508A and it's always the same. I belive if you check the NEC standards (again a fire safety standard), you'll see the 125% is pretty common.

Steve Smith

I would still agree with McGyver that UL's bus rating process should include extended-time overcurrent at 125% of what they're ultimately going to rate it.

You should see the tests they do for small transformers, it's a hoot.

Goober Dave

I also agree that you would expect them to test the product at the 125%, but I have never seen it happen. As long as the fuse/breaker trips during a dead short they seem to be happy.

No thanks on the transformer test. I've had my fill with UPS, Power Factor Correction equipment, & UL 924 Emergeny Power Systems.

Steve Smith

oh well..can't change the world, but I can make my little piece of it safer.. Panel will have overcurrent device rated at 100A.
Thanks guys...

Just keep in mind that a 100 A molded case circuit breaker is only rated to carry 80 A on a continuous basis, "continuous" being defined as three hours or more. Beyond that, it may trip.

So your 100 A bus is now only good for 80 A on a continuous basis.

David Castor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back