Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UL Certification required for low power electronic device

Status
Not open for further replies.

ern1234

Computer
Jan 24, 2012
US
We are designing a wall mounted electronic data collection device (simple LCD display and keypad) with an external power supply. I would consider the entire device a low voltage device. I understand in some other countries outside of the US, an electrical safety rating may be required. We are moving forward with FCC certification and we are considering a UL certification. Initially, I thought from a liability standpoint that we would need to UL certification, but I haven’t seen many other low voltage products, other than external power supplies with a UL certification. Is this a common requirement for electronic devices or this a customer based requirement? For example, is there a vertical that specifically requires a UL certification in addition to the FCC? If you know of a previous thread here in the forums describing this, please let me know….thanks..

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Something like this might prove useful...

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back