Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UL insepction & NFPA

Status
Not open for further replies.

richard1st

Industrial
Nov 1, 2002
GB
I have just been reading thread 237-48055 regarding lamp colours.

As an equipment designed in the UK, I cannot understand how you guys are able to make up your own colour codes on equipment! Even though I design to NFPA79, our installation people in the States regularly have to change lamp colours (amber/white/blue, etc) to satisfy UL inspectors doing field labelling of equipment (or argue and risk the inspector delving more deeply).

The same applies to equipment built or imported into the Europe from the States - to justify a CE mark it must comply with EN60204.

How do people in the States escape without UL inspection and following NFPA? Surely not another trade barrier?

RAC.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Comment: Those aspects are leading to roots of industry standards, their coordination and enforcement. However, industry standards are living documents. Chances are that they will converge to the improved overall safety.

All equipment must be approved for the purpose NFPA 70 (NEC). UL 508A is a Standard for Industrial Control Panels.
This Standard is acceptable to The Authority Having Jurisdiction. See NFPA 70 Articles 90-7, 100, 110.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back