Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UL Type 3R or Type 12 rated quarter turn latche 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASON8102

Mechanical
Jul 29, 2004
US
Anyone know of an off the shelf quarter turn latch that is rated/passed UL Type 3R or Type 12 rating?

Jason Schultz
Mechanical Engineer
Yaskawa Electric America
"It's got to be 5pm somewhere!"

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

JASON8102,

UL type 3R and 12 are protection ratings for enclosures. The usual design strategy is the locate the latches outside the protected volume, in which case, the latch rating is irrelevant.

You can buy screws with built-in O-rings.

Quarter turn fasteners have clamping forces of 30 to 150lb, depending on their size. Do you think this is enough to clamp an O-ring reliably.

Critter.gif
JHG

I'm aware of the ratings and what they equal. However we need to buy an off the shelf latch that has been listed by UL all ready. Otherwise we have to pay for the testing of the latch design we come up with.

Jason

Jason Schultz
Mechanical Engineer
Yaskawa Electric America

Doing that led me to a Hoffman catalog which offered "Latch Kits for Type 4 and 12 Enclosures."

I didn't bother checking any of the other hits that came up.

Patricia Lougheed

Please see FAQ731-376: Eng-Tips.com Forum Policies for tips on how to make the best use of the Eng-Tips Forums.

yep they won't sell us just the latches because we are also an enclosure manufacturer. They want us to either buy their cabinet or have them make our cabinets for us. We get better pricing through some of our other sheetmetal vendors then Hoffman.

Jason Schultz
Mechanical Engineer
Yaskawa Electric America

Emka, Dirak are probably the two biggest 1/4 turn latch companies I've dealt with. Honestly, they probably don't sell a "UL" approved latch, as they aren't selling the entire enclosure, I'd take the design constraints to the UL specs as a basis for sellecting appropriate hardware.

James Spisich
Design Engineer, CSWP

JASON8102,

Are you sure the latches themselves are NEMA 3R and 12?

As I noted above, if the latches are attached entirely outside the sealed volume, then it does not matter what specification they meet. You worry about the gasket inside your lid. If the fastener meets 3R and 12, it has a gasket which at best, is another point of failure.

Critter.gif
JHG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back