Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ultimate strain of SS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozzkoz

Mechanical
Aug 13, 2009
US
I've been looking for the ultimate strain for some different materials and having trouble. Particularly 13-8 H1000, MIL-HDBK-5 has a stress strain curve but it only ges up to about 1.2% strain. They also have a "full range" but it shows the same Ramburg-Osgood curve and then at 1.2% strain the curve starts coming down. This seems a little low for a material which is considered ductile. Is this value right or is there another source I can check for a better stress strain curve. As an aside mil-hdbk says the fracture strain is 10%, which I guess I believe a little more than the ultimate strain.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ozzkoz,

The fracture strain is the same as the ultimate strain, which is required to be 10% for PH13-8Mo according to AMS 5629 (Table 2.6.6.0(b) on page 2-158 of MIL-HDBK-5J). The full range curves shown in Figure 2.6.6.1.6(c) show the same thing: the H1000 specimen fractures at an ultimate strain of ~ 0.10. Keep in mind that these are engineering stress-strain curves, and that the shape of the true stress-strain curve will be different.

The elongation is the total stretch at fracture, I'm actaully looking for the ultimate strain (strain at ultiamte strength, or the strain at onset of necking).

I'm doing an elastic / perfectly plastic analysis and I don't think I can assume I carry the full plastic load all the way out to fracture since I'd have necking after the ultimate strain is reached.

Ok, I now understand what you are asking. At the onset of necking, the true strain = strain hardening exponent. If you know the strain hardening coefficient, you can use this value for the strain at necking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back