Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ultra 3000

Status
Not open for further replies.

RPPNA

Mechanical
Feb 5, 2007
CA
I am fairly new to this automation....I need to synchronize two shafts. Main shaft is driven by 1.5KW VFD controlled variable speed Motor. The other movable shaft has a die on it and comes in contact with the main shaft. Angular contact point and speed needs to be synchronized. I am thinking of using one spare AB servo motor which is controlled by Ultra 3000.

I am of the opinion that I will need to put an encoder on the DC motor to get the speed and rotary position info out of it, and then somehow coneect to Ultra 3000 either through PLC or direct. I need help as to how to go about and do this...

Thx.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If your budget allows, the easiest solution is to NOT try to hack something together out of components laying around. Contact SEW Eurodrive, A-B, or others for a VFD system. Two VFDs+motors+encoders can be connected Master-Slave to do what you want. You may even get free engineering service out of the vendors to get you running quickly. The money you save trying to cobble something up will be spent in your time trying to make it work.

TygerDawg

We found that our current VFD does not respond quick enough to the load change on the shaft. Hence I get synchronization error.

The spare servo motor already has an absolute encoder. So i was trying to test the system before I invest money in it.

Except, I do not know how to read encoder value either direct innto Ultra 3000 or through PLC and then have ultra 3000 to control speed of servo motor to it.

Dear RPPNA:

VFD are way slower than any servo. In the case of ultra 300, you are gonna get the values that you need, in the database of your PLC, assuming that your are already networked with sercos in your PLC. To sync them also it will be needed to program and configure that.
I know is possible to synchronize two or more axis without network, using three cables, for AMK drives. But according with your post, this sounds more a electronic cam application.
I also agree with tygerdawg about contacting AMK, ABB, AB for recommendations on your specific app.

Best regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back