Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ultrasonic energy

Status
Not open for further replies.

IGOR

Mechanical
Apr 16, 2001
US
We want to more accurately control our process. We use ultrasonic cleaning of precision machined plastic components. Plastic absorbes a great deal of the energy. We want to be able to measure the enegy in the tanks during the process. I'm thinking of using an accelerometer with an oscilloscope. Does any one have any ideas?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Igor,
I boyght a handy gadget a couple of months ago, it is a 11 input 10 bit ADC. It plugs into printer port on your pc and will graph, record any anylogue signal well beond yours, it cost ~ $120.00.
The type of transducer to use I am not sure, perhaps a pietzo crystal or an old converter off an old cleaner.
Here is a phone number of Branson UK they will know, if when you ring them ask to speak with Dawn and tell her that I said to ring and ask to speak to the guy who works on the cleaners who smokes a pipe. I was working with them a few weeks ago and I just cant remember his name.
Branson UK = 44-208 561 4422
Hope this is of some help Mark Fitzgerald.
PS if you cant ring them E-me & will find out for you.

I would think the ultrasonic energy is going to be highly directional. An accelerometer is going to be sensitive only in directions you point it. I think you need something like a black body absorber which will convert the ultrasonic energy to heat. Measure the temperature change to measure total energy. Perhaps you can just measure the temperature of the plastic parts in process. Maybe a 3d block of temperature-color change plastic bits mounted on wires or monofilament that will give you a 3d map of the energy in the cleaner. Just thinking out loud. Let me know if you patent it......:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back