Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ultrasonic transponder high temperature/sterilize

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayLau

Industrial
Mar 10, 2005
HK
Hi,

I'm currently doing a project which involves ultrasonic transponders which needs to be sterilized (134 C) and that are also small in size

So I'm searching for a ultrasonic transponder that can be sterilized or withstand such a high temperature.

Another thing, if such a transponder does not exist? how are such things normally sterilized?

I hope you guys can help me with this.

Regards,

Jay

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Jay,

As an old hospital engineer, I ran across this discussion many times. There are options besides autoclave. ETO gas sterilization is one that is pretty benign. There are also solutions of bleach, and lysol among others for a soak-type at room temperatures.

If your device can be potted or sealed, one of the soaks might do. If not, ETO might be the ticket. Best bet -- contact the Infection Control department at a trusted local hospital. Usually the medical director of such a department can provide good insight.

You might also post this in the Chemical Engineering Forum...

Let us know what you find out!

Old Dave

Thx Dave,

Yeah I've already contacted the hospital and they use 4 levels, cleaning by hand, ultrasonic, steam and ultraviolet

So the ultrasonic transponder must undergo these steps too.

Jay

search for "chemical sterilization"

<nbucska@pcperipherals DOT com> subj: eng-tips
read FAQ240-1032

Haven't you guy's ever heard of e-beam srerilization. They do it all the time to dispose of medical waste! They also use it to sterilize IV sets in production. Check out Baxter Healthcare, they do it all the time with e-beams and x-rays. It's trivial.

Why not tell what you were trying to sterilize in your first thread...?

Oh yeah, sorry for that

Well I want to sterilize a ultrasonic transponder, however I cannot find one which can withstand that temperature.
So I was wondering how to do this

Hope this helps?

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back