Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UMAT two crystal probelm

Status
Not open for further replies.

NazBaba

Mechanical
May 2, 2011
TR
Hi all,

I am implementing the constitutive behaviour of two-crystal CuAlNi shape memory alloy during uniaxial loading using UMAT. My aim is to pass single crystal to polycrystal model. So, I am trying two-crystal problem firstly. I have no trouble with implementing two-crystal (one crystal has no rotation, other crystal has 10 degree rotation). However, when I implement two crystal ( one crystal has no rotation, other crystal has 30 degree rotation), there is an convergence problem. I think this problem is a result of defining of the crystal boundaries. I use two C3D8 element and I define rotation in UMAT like that:

! ELEMENT 1:: 30 DEGREE

IF (NOEL.EQ.1.) THEN

ROTATE(1,1)=0.866025403
ROTATE(1,2)=0.5
ROTATE(2,1)=-0.5
ROTATE(2,2)=0.866025403
ROTATE(3,3)=1.

! ELEMENT 2:: 0 DEGREE

ELSE

ROTATE(1,1)=1.
ROTATE(2,2)=1.
ROTATE(3,3)=1.

END IF

I transform our transformation strain using these rotate tensors.According to our constitutive equations; the difference between the crystals which have different orientations is only transformation strain. When two crystal have close rotations, there is no problem but when difference between the rotations increases, I can not get results because the shared nodes of the elements have very different values in finite element and I think it is a problem.

Nazım Babacan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back