Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to create drawing (GMToolkit) from cloned part from Teamcenter

Status
Not open for further replies.

DieMan44

Mechanical
Sep 16, 2004
US
I need to create a GM drawing from a file I cloned and downloaded from Teamcenter. We are just creating the drawing for markup purposes.
When I try to create the drawing a get an error (see attached). Any idea on how to remove the PDM info?

Jeff
NX 8.0.3.4
TC 9 Auto Edition
GM Suplier Toolkit

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If this message is being generated by the 'GM Toolkit', then it would appear that it was put there for a reason, as alluded to by the message itself. I suspect that unless someone has a clever workaround (I don't as I've never had to work with the GM Toolkit), that you may have to take this up with the people at GM from whom you got the GM Toolkit files in the first place.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

DieMan44 - if you are accessing GM's Teamcenter, are you doing it from Teamcenter Web, or directly interfacing with it with NX (you mentioned the GM Toolkit)? If throught NX, you could attempt the "Export Assembly Outside Teamcenter..." function. If through Teamcenter Web, then you are better off contacting the GM Engineer that your company is working with to arrange for export by GM Personnel (with most likely an electronic stamp stating it is a non-GM managed copy).

I believe you're going to need to provide some more info. It's been awhile for me with the Teamcenter side and different divisions of GM allow/deny suppliers different options, not to mention things may not be the same as when I was using GM's version of Teamcenter.

Are you workin in Teamcenter or in Native NX???? Seems to me like you're getting a read/write permission message while trying to change a part in Teamcenter. Did you go through a Teamcenter to Native NX export process or just find the file in Teamcenter and open in NX? If you just opened it, then you're probably using the file from GM's database and don't have permissions to change it. Never did run into any downloading with GM either - the export process was the downloading essentially - and THEN I opened the file in Native NX.

See if you can export the original part (not cloned part) out of Teamcenter into Native NX. (Never have cloned nor heard of people cloning anything within Teamcenter, but not saying it isn't done). Exporting out should get rid of GM's read/write access restrictions and allow you to change the part as you wish - I'd never work in Teamcenter, always Native NX. Can you not add this "file" as a component to a new NX file and THEN create your dwg if the above isn't an option? Again, this error is something I've never seen before, but like I said, I never work in Teamcenter - always export the parts out to Native and then start doing as I wish.

I highly doubt that this is the Toolkit - that's just a set of tools to help you prepare and/or check drawings and models for import into Teamcenter.

Tim Flater
NX Designer
NX 8.0.3.4
Win7 Pro x64 SP1
Intel Xeon 2.53 GHz 6GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 4000 2GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back