Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unbrako 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

HDS

Mechanical
Jul 25, 2002
US
Unbrako has been known for years as a reliable supplier of high strength socket head cap screws from the USA to the ASME, ANSI and ISO standards. At one point they were owned by SPS but they appear to have been sold off. Neither webpage mentions the sale and I can not find anything in a Google search. Some of their distributors do not even know about it. I just got a shipment of them and the country of origin is listed as India.

Does anybody know the story behind what is going on with them? Are they still the same company with the same quality and different ownership and global manufacturing or is only the name the same? Are they still appropriate for safety applications?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have a set of Unbrako Allen wrenches, and they definitely have lived up to their name over the past 25 years. Sad to hear that they've gone the way of all flesh.

Excellence Fasteners of Kattoor India is reputed to be the new supplier under the Unbrako name. Very few fasteners are being made in the West any longer.

It is better to have enough ideas for some of them to be wrong, than to be always right by having no ideas at all.

SPS is owned by PCC, essentially an aerospace products company, and it is ruthless about profit margins. UNBRAKO was sold off because it was underperforming. SPS Automotive has also been underperforming the rest of the PCC aerospace units, and is not nearly the same company that it was just a few years ago.

Deepak Fasteners is the new owner of the UNBRAKO brand. Excellence Fasteners is just a distributor.

And yes, Holo-Krome is still manufacturing fasteners in the USA. THey just moved into new premises in 2010, from West Hartford, CT to nearby Wallingford.

Thank you very much everyone. While the new owner could be producing the same quality components when I go to the effort of specifying a supplier instead of a standard it is because something is too critical to trust to an unknown because of safety.

Holo-Krome was my other supplier for critical items.

At least the new owner kept the high quality literature available.

That is sad to hear about SPS Carroll Smith must be rolling over in his grave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back