Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Under ground car park project 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

exeteruni

Geotechnical
May 5, 2002
GB
I'm not sure if this is what these forums are for but I am doing a project which involves designing an under ground car park for my 4th year project at Exeter University. I do not have the equipment to dig a bore hole and hence am unable to do any tests. Therefore I am finding it difficult to know what values to use for my shear strength parameters.

If anyone could point me in the correct direction or have expertise in this field any information would be greatly received.

Thanks robeade@hotmail.com

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

exeteruni,

Some geotechnical books have tables with typical values of different soil properties. "Physical and Geotechnical Properties of Soils", by Joseph Bowles is one of them.

AEF

To Exeteruni

You prof will probably give you a "F" if you give him this first answer, but it would show that you have given the subject some thought.

Ans 1 No one in the working world builds a building, let alone one with u/g parking with out doing some drilling/soil testing!

A better idea: Look in one of your Geotech text book, make up some SPT blow counts and then determine the corresponding shear strengths. You might also want to take into consideration how many stories and levels of u/g parking your building has.

Best of luck in University.
Coneboy

Here's what I would do:

1. Pick a proposed site for your project in the city where your school is located, a site you can actually go look at. You could even take pictures of the site showing adjacent buildings etc., to include in your project report.

2. Call a local engineering firm or soils firm and ask for a boring log from a project site close to the site you picked for your class project. Most engineers are more than willing to help. Remember to credit your sources!

3. You could get a topographic map of you site from information at your City Engineering office or a local surveyor.

4. Interview a local precast concrete supplier, structural steel supplier or general contractor regarding the design and construction problems and techniques used for underground parking garages.

While your project is fictional, you can "dig up" (excuse the pun) enough information from local sources to give it the feel of a real project.

Best of luck.

Another possible source would be the local building department. If there were recent projects in the area, the geotechnical reports will be on file and should be considered public record, so anyone can go down and get a copy of them.

If the soil conditions are right for it, I would consider soil nailing as a temporary or permanent shoring system for your site. I don't know the exact cost savings that would be realized in your area, but in the northwest it's about $10 a square foot of excavation.

If this is Exeter in the UK, there is a substantial redevelopment on going at PrincessHay. If you approached the Main Contractor and explained what you are looking for, i am sure that they would be very happy to assist you. There is considerable SI information and excellent geo reports that have been compiled. As the post above mentioned, credit your source and send a copy of the report to the Engineer that assisted you.Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back