Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Underconsolidated Soils

Status
Not open for further replies.

GOTEK

Geotechnical
Sep 9, 2005
US
I am trying to ascertain how much more settlement I can expect along a stretch of highway adjacent to a lake. I have conducted several consolidation tests, UU, and CU tests. The soils range from med. dense fill material (sands and gravels) to highly organic soil as well as some very loose silts and soft clays. Upon analysis of the boring logs, SPT data, and consolidation test results I have determined that the soil is still consolidating under its self weight (and therefore underconsolidated).

This project was originally built in the 1940s and I am trying to determine the remaining time necessary for the soils to achieve normal consolidation. I was going to use the classic time rate of settlement calculation and since I have data for t, cv, and H I am going to attempt to back calculate a U factor and compare the value to determine a % consolidation.

Does this approach sound reasonable? If you have had any experience with such a problem please let me know how you would approach the issue. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back