Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Underground pipeline

Status
Not open for further replies.

demsha

Materials
Feb 20, 2010
CA
Hello,

Is it possible to use carbon steel (SA 106) sch.40 for underground pipeline carrying diesel fuel?
Can anyone tell me which API code I should refer to? I am looking for correct material.

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You don't need an API code just yet. BTW, APIs are not codes. As for a design code, is it a pipeline to be constructed outside of a plant area, an offshore platform, a diesel fuel system, or what?

"People will work for you with blood and sweat and tears if they work for what they believe in......" - Simon Sinek

What is the application?

For generators, basic black iron pipe is the preferred material for any diesel fuel lines.

For fuel dispensing stations, you may use carbon steel:

[ul]
[li]ASTM A 53/A 53M, Schedule 40, Type S or E, Grade A or B, black.[/li]
[li]Steel Threaded Fittings: ASME B16.11, with threads according to ASME B1.20.1.[/li]
[li]Malleable-Iron Threaded Fittings: ASME B16.3, Class 150, standard pattern, with threads according to ASME B1.20.1.[/li]
[li]Malleable[/li]
[/ul]-Iron Unions: ASME B16.39, Class 150. Include brass-to-iron seat, ground joint, and threads according to ASME B1.20.1.

or nonmetallic:

Flexible Nonmetallic Piping: UL 971, plastic pipe and fittings for underground applications. Include bulkhead, termination, or other end fittings as required.

or ridgid nonmetallic:

Rigid Nonmetallic Piping: Fiberglass piping for underground applications. Include transition, bulkhead, termination, or other end fittings as required.

Or flexible double contained piping:

Flexible Double-Contained Piping: UL 971, flexible, nonmetallic, carrier pipe with flexible, nonmetallic, secondary-containment pipe, for underground applications. Include bulkhead, termination, or other end fittings as required.

Or ridid double contained piping

Rigid Double-Contained Piping: UL 971, RTRP and RTRF carrier piping with RTRP and RTRF secondary-containment piping.

Here is an outline of interstate pipeline construction and codes:

I would refer you to ASME B31.4, Pipeline Transportation Systems for Liquid Hydrocarbons and Other Liquids design. Then refer you to Table 423.1-1 Material Standards (A106B is there).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back