Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

UNDERSLAB DRAINAGE

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClemsonVet

Civil/Environmental
May 12, 2016
US
Hello, Site Civil Here. there is always a rub when groundwater is a challenge on a site when localized/perched under a building footprint. Our scope ends 5' outside of the foundation and apparently our insurance will not support us going out of our expertise. Without fail, if gw is found, the geotech usually provides generalized guidance (trench, rock, pipe in a sock) and then the entire ownership/design team looks to the site civil to formalize the design. WHY?

It is my assertion that the geotech, structural and plumbing designer should own under slab design as a component of the building system. I do not know the structural calculations for the spread footers or column footings, nor do i know where the underslab utilities will be and how all of this will interact with the underslab drainage. its my assertion that the geotech, structural and plumbing designer should design the system and do checks in BIM to ensure everything has its place meeting spacing requirements, honoring zones of influence and creating trench drain/utility crossings that are well detailed etc. what are your take on this?

please bill your time to marketing.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I too do not encroach the 5’ boundary to the building. I guess I’ve been lucky I’ve never been asked to design within the building. Or they all just thought ‘don’t even bother asking this guy’.

What does "formalise the design" mean?

--Einstein gave the same test to students every year. When asked why he would do something like that, "Because the answers had changed."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back