Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Understanding construction types, fire ratings, seperations 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geoffre14

Structural
Jul 30, 2008
US
I am a structural engineer. I need to better understand when we can use wood framing and when we must use light gauge or other noncombustible materials. I am looking for a cliff's-notes-style primer on this part of the building code. Do you know of any good resources?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Don't know what code you are dealing with... the National Building Code of Canada is fairly straight forward with spatial separation and there is a reasonable commentary.

Dik

dik & SlideRuleEra, thanks for the help and links. I am printing now and will read. At first glance this looks very helpful.

I am working in USA. Feel free to chime in with any other resources you might find helpful.

I read SRE's three articles and got a lot out of them. I feel that there's still potential for something more targeted if it exists out there anyplace. Like OP, I've often wanted more clear and consolidated guidance on fire for structural engineers. At the extremes you have:

1) Fundamental fire philosophy like the three articles.
2) Straight up code provisions.

I'd love it if there were a middle document that consolidated all of the issues that a structural engineer might be involved in with regard to fire. All materials, fire walls, fire proofing, and just enough of the architectural stuff that we could anticipate spatial problems in advance and help to solve them.

I've found this to be somewhat in the ballpark: Link

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

It's not clear what the OP is looking for. I'll take a step back from the Fire Theory discussion.

The ICC code has most of what you need for here in the States. Almost always, it's the architect's job to figure out the building Use Group classification. Usually, you are trying to classify the building at the lowest level of fire rating and the cheapest construction type which still complies with the code Use Group requirements. What's allowed for a hospital is different than for a school or for a munitions factory.

Each use and construction type has its own height and area limits. Sometimes you might desire to choose a less expensive construction type (non-combustible) but it limits the height or area you can build. For most buildings, you (the architect) do have choices. As the building gets larger or taller, there are fewer options and more prescriptive requirements.

For example, you are designing a masonry bearing wall building and you need to design the exterior load-bearing wall lintels. You ask the architect if the lintels can be made from wood. He says, no, due to our large building area and the constraints in the code, we need to be an all non-combustible construction type. So you say, how about steel lintels? He says, steel is OK for interior openings, but the exterior wall construction for our Use Group, area, and construction type must have a minimum 1 hour fire rating. Steel lintels (though non-combustible) would need to be sprayed with fireproofing or intumescent paint to get the 1 hour rating. So you and the architect decide to go with reinforced masonry lintels as the cheapest option which meets all the code requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back