Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Underwater grout product needed 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

HawaiianMarine

Civil/Environmental
Jul 29, 2008
US
I have to grout the annulus between an 18" PVC pipe and a 24" SS sleeve going through a cap wall. The specifications call for "filler" and portland cement works fine above the water line. I have one location that is always underwater, even at low tide.

1st attempt was forming up the opening and pumping 3/8" pump mix into the forms. Unfortunately, the concrete pump was not able to create enough pressure to force the water out of the forms.

The cap wall is 6' thick, so I'm nervous about trying a "water plug" type grout.

Any suggestions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

for the "filler" are you using 3/8" crushed rock? I would try grout with either no filler (i.e cement/water) or with sand (but not much) as the filler.

Assuming your formwork is good it should be possible to pump from one end (with the inlet at the bottom) and have an outlet at the other end. The grout from the outlet should be brought back up to the surface so that you can check when grout with the same consistancy as you pumped in is found. While pushing the water out a fair quantity of grout will be mixed with the water so allow around 30% wastage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back