Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Undo and Redo in SW 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwgin4d

Mechanical
Mar 10, 2015
US
Greetings,
I'm a full week in with Solidworks 2013. My take thus far is that it is over engineered and lacking sensibility.
So far I've spent a week trying to lay out a 3 page drawing specifically because of the Undo / Redo functions. Once in a while,
the Undo feature works and lets me go backwards. Most of the time, it just doesn't work. AT ALL. I've lost days because of this.

Is this a bug? How can I set the undo parameters? If SW is deciding what constitutes an important change to record/ignore, what are they?

The only wacky solution I see is to save drawings every minute or two as different names, each in a state of imperfection.

I am failing to understand the benefit of this multi-thousand dollar program that has overlooked and obscured the most basic feature
included in the cheapest of softwares.

Any help appreciated.

Thx

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

So you're a full week into it and have passed judgement on it? Did you jump in blind or have you had some training? Having to undo things implies that you're making mistakes, is that the case? What is it you're trying to do, exactly, that is causing you to have to undo things?

Jeff Mirisola, CSWE
My Blog

JMirisola,

You are suggesting CTRL+Z or undo requires training? And that revision and/or changes are mistakes? Okay.....

My question restated: "Is this a bug? How can I set the undo parameters? If SW is deciding what constitutes an important change to record/ignore, what are they?"

You said you are working on a 3 page drawing. Do the changes you are trying to undo apply to the part or the drawing? I hope you aren't trying to change the part from inside the drawing file. I find SW newbies often say "drawing" when they really mean "part" or "assembly".

BIG TIP: Learning it yourself is the best way I know to learn it wrong, and then have to "unlearn" stuff later.

Thank you very much ctopher and Jboggs,
I'm not making any model changes or rebuilding/auto rebuilding, just cosmetic layout changes in the drawing. Views, Sections, Details, moving sheets around, etc.
I haven't found anything to explain exactly how to modify what SW saves or caches yet. As a SW owner ($$$), the frustration is with divining whether it is a procedural limitation or a setting.

Thank you again

It remembers in memory what you are doing, not 'saving'. Once you select "save" or "rebuild", the undo starts over at that point.
It's not like ACAD where you can undo to the beginning.

I suggest a good training class.
Check out SW videos on YouTube.

Chris, CSWA
SolidWorks 14
SolidWorks Legion

At the beginning with SW our instincts wants to do something in a certain way that seems logical to our thinking. Unfortunately SW has not been programmed for you and you only so it's a bunch of different workflows that have been put together and refined over time. It's only normal to have some frustration over this. The others suggested training because once you starts to understand the SW way then everything falls into place.

Unfortunately for you SW doesn't have a consistent undo function, but ask yourself why do you need to undo things? Can you just edit it instead? Or move it? I got used to not having an Undo function and I don't miss it at all.

Patrick

I can feel for d4d, I have not figured out just what step is going to be undone when I hit the button. It seems that sometimes when you select undo it does not undo the last thing you did but maybe the next to last thing you did. It also seems somewhat random, but agree that it also may be my lack of knowledge about what is or isn't undoable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back