Unfamiliar specs on Transmission Shaft drawing

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpinningDog

Aerospace
Sep 20, 2007
CA
Folks,

I am looking at a drawing of a transmission shaft, and wonder if anyone can decipher for me:

Material: SCr20
Heat and Surface Treatment: TSH5200G
Carburizing, Quenching and Tempering: Hv720-850
Case Hardening Depth: 0.5G

I can make assumptions about these, but for obvious reasons would prefer it if someone can give me more specific information. The drawing is of Japanese origin, and the specs are completely unfamiliar to me.

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is the hardness spec:
"Carburizing, Quenching and Tempering: Hv720-850"
Which is hardness vickers of 720 to 850. (really hard)

As "G" is not any sort of unit of measure I am familar with it may have not photocopied well.... That could be likely as 0.5mm is reasonable for a case depth.

The material spec and heat and surface treatment spec are probably internal to the company producing the b/p.

Nick
I love materials science!

SCr20 is a Japanese steel grade equivalent to grade 5120 according to SAE J404 or 5120H according to SAE J1268. The TSH standard is a Toyota internal specification, without which you will not be able to fully understand the requirements for product, testing, etc. You need to talk to your potential customer about obtaining the most recent revision of TSH5200G directly from Toyota, as this standard is not available from distributors, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back