Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unfold Command Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caprig4005

Aerospace
Dec 5, 2011
US
I am trying the use the Unfold command on a complex curvature surface. The base surface has a edge/isoparm down the centerline with the Y coordinate on 0.000. When I unfold the surface that same edge/isoparm is on 0.000 on the same side as the origin points used in the command but the other side of the unfolded surface is of by almost .25in. Is there an option or extra command I am missing to adjust this deviation or is it just the way CATIA handles the unfold command?

I am trying to use the unfolded surface as a guide to send curves back to the original surface.

Take a look at the picture below for clarification if my description is unclear. You can also see that the Y values on the unfolded surface are no symmetric around the ZX plane.

Ryan Capriglione
NX/CATIA Power User

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=bdcdd39c-62a3-478b-b66e-3b32af4ecca9&file=Unfolded_Surface_Issues.jpg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you unfolding exact or approximate?

10-24-2016_5-04-46_PM_mombyw.jpg

If you are dealing with the SMD (Sheetmetal Design) workbench then the K factor controls whether the geometry is longer or shorter when folded/unfolded.

Drew Mumaw

unfold does not keep symmetry or other geometrical specifications... work as design. SR closed.

Eric N.
indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

I am using the unfold command out of CPD. It seems as though this is a bit of a short coming when it comes to CATIA. How can I guarantee that the flat pattern is correct if I can't verify the symmetry of an unfolded surface.

Ryan Capriglione
NX/CATIA Power User

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back